Financial Aid

Student Federal Financial Aid

Lincoln University participates in the William D. Ford Direct Loan and the Pell Grant programs. The Federal Student Financial Aid program is directed to assist students and parents who cannot otherwise meet their educational expenses. In determining eligibility for available financial aid, the U.S. Department of Education requires each student to complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at: and to list Lincoln University (institution number: 00697500) as the preferred college. A Federal Student Aid ID (FSA ID) is essential in the completion of the FAFSA and should be obtained as a first step at: The eligible students must complete: i) Entrance Counseling and the ii) Master Promissory Note (MPN), at the website: Students must complete exit counseling each time they drop below half-time enrollment, graduate, or leave school.

Who is Eligible?

Regular students at Lincoln University enrolled in a degree program (BA, BS, MBA, and MS) and having financial needs are eligible to receive Federal Student Financial Aid (FFA) if they are U.S. citizens, permanent residents, or belong to immigration categories described on Students must also meet requirements described on the FSA website.

Visit for more information.

How to Apply?

  1. Fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by going to You have to include our school code “006975-00” for Lincoln University (LU), Oakland, CA in your application.

  2. After you have completed your FAFSA application we need to know about it. Please email informing us about your name and educational program.

  3. The financial aid office will review your FASFA application to evaluate your financial aid eligibility and contact you with further instructions in 5-7 business days after you notify us. There may be additional required documents that you or your parents need to fill out, so make sure to check your emails.

  4. Your award letter will be emailed to you after you have submitted all the required documents, been accepted as a regular student, and selected classes for the term.

  5. Read the award letter, accept or decline the aid offered, sign and date, then return the hard copy or email an image of the signed letter to the Financial Aid office at If you accepted a loan, you will have to complete the Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Entrance Counselling on

To satisfy conditions for receiving Financial Assistance under Title IV programs a student must maintain satisfactory academic progress in his/her course of study. Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Policies for each program are described on page 25 in LU Catalog .


What types of Federal Financial Aid are available?

Lincoln University offers two types of federal financial aid: grants and loans. Grants are free money while loans are money borrowed with the U.S. government guaranty and must be repaid.

What am I eligible for?

Many factors are involved in determining the FFA eligibility of a student so it cannot be generalized. Undergraduate students may be eligible for Pell Grant (maximum Pell Grant for 2020-21 award year is $6,345), Direct Subsidized Loan and Direct Unsubsidized Loan (the maximum amount of these two loans combined ranges from $5,500 to $12,500 per year). Graduate Students are only eligible for Direct Unsubsidized Loan (maximum $20,500 per year).
Graduate students and parents of dependent undergraduate students can be eligible for Direct PLUS Loans. A good borrower’s credit score is required for these loans.

Do I have to reapply for Federal Financial Aid every year?

Yes. Please make sure to contact the Financial Aid office if you have any questions.

I am an international student; can I apply for financial aid?

International students (F1 visa holders) are not eligible for federal aid, however you can look for scholarships (try the U.S. Department of Labor’s free online scholarship search) or you can apply for a private loan if you have a U.S. consignor.

When do I receive an award letter?

You will receive an award letter (via email) only after you have submitted all the required documents, been accepted as a regular student, and selected your classes for the term.

If I apply for Federal Financial Aid, do I also get admitted to LU?

No. You need to apply to Lincoln University, by completing an online application here.

Contact Information

If you have any questions, please contact the Financial Aid Office at
(510) 628-8011   fax: (510) 628-8012

 Ms. Wendy Vasquez
Financial Aid Director

 Ms. Martina Bergamini
Financial Aid Counselor